Monday, May 18, 2009

Disney’s Film Strategy Sputters

This news article looks at the severe down turn in revenue brought in by the Walt Disney Studios this past couple of years. It questions Bob Iger's strategy of cutting back on the number of movies Disney releases each year.

The company’s film profit plunged 97 percent to $13 million in the quarter ended March 28. Revenue tumbled 21 percent to $1.44 billion, reflecting the box-office sales and a drop in DVDs. Fox’s film profit rose 8 percent.


Most of the problem, from my perspective, is due to the failure of the live-action movies being released by the company. They do not have a "John Lasseter" for the live-action movies who does the creativity check and quality control. Lacking of a big franchise movie such as "Pirates" prop up the profits, the few live-action movies being released so far have been rather disappointing in quality and can't catch an audience.

While there are several animation movies to be released this year from Disney that I am definitely looking forward to, the only live-action movie that I can think of from them that is high on my list of must-see is "Alice in Wonderland", mainly because of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. If I were in charge of Disney Studios, I'd try to get Tim Burton into my circle. His movies may not always be huge blockbusters, but they are never boring.

Zz.

No comments: