Thursday, December 28, 2006

You Need A Tripod at WDW

Needless to say, if you have a camera and wish to take low light/night shots, or a camcorder and wish to take a video of a parade or fireworks, you need a tripod. But who wants to lug around a bulky item all over WDW?

When I decided to buy a tripod, I had all of those concerns and more. I wanted something small enough that can fit into my backpack, and it cannot be too heavy that it will weigh me down (preferably around 2 lbs or less). I also had extra requirements. I want something that will expand high enough so that I don't have to crouch down to look at the display while I'm recording a video or taking a shot (I'm 5' 10" tall). It must also be sturdy enough to hold up at least 5 lbs, which is roughly the weight of my camcorder.

So I had quite a list of criteria for a tripod that I would carry with me on my Disney trips. And I found one.

I would highly recommend Velbon Ultra Maxi. There are many different models in the ultra Maxi series, but this was, I think, the original one (and I'm not sure if it is still in production since I can't find it listed on Velbon's website - the other ultra maxi models are listed). I have had this tripod for a couple of years, and it fits everything that I need in a tripod. Most people could not believe that something barely a 13 inches long can actually expand up to 61 inches. And as a bonus, it comes with pan and tilt head with a quick release, something that is very useful that you don't have to buy extra.

I don't work or have any connection with Velbon, and this is an unsolicited recommendation.

Zz.

No comments: