Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Tribute To Jack, The Biggest Goofy Fan That I Know

Yesterday, during our monthly Windy City Pin Traders meet, we were informed that one of our dearest friends passed away on Friday. Jack has been in poor health the past few years, but even during the last setback that happened during our trip this past September, we still thought he was going to pull through, just like he had done many times before. Sadly, it did not happen this time.

We met Jack and Judie through our mutual interest in Disney pin trading. They were originally part of the WCPT here in the Chicagoland area, but by the time we met them, and by the time we joined the WCPT, they had already moved to Central Florida. Still, when we first met them at one of the yearly Disney Pin Celebration Event at Epcot, you cannot help but be drawn to them, either through their enthusiasm in Disney pins, or their interest in what you have to say, or their kindness that you can see in their eyes.

Jack had a fondness for Goofy. I don't know of anyone who has that many Goofy pins and items. One of these days, I will have to ask Judie how this all started. I wish I had the time to sit down with Jack himself and ask him.

We always try to meet up with them whenever we are at WDW, at least for dinner, which often occurred at Boma. Each one of these became memorable evenings filled with conversations and laughter, and of course, good food. Over the years, our friendship has transcended beyond just the sharing of our common interest in Disney and Disney pins. They become part of our lives and people that we care about.

Jack leaves behind a family that loves him, and a large, extended Disney family that will miss him awfully.




Zz.

3 comments:

Anne from Chicago said...

RIP Jack. I was so looking forward to meeting up with you again in a couple of weeks, but alas it wasn't meant to be. You and Judie are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jeff C. said...

Condolences on the loss of what sounds like a true and fabulous friend, Zz.

Melody said...

There are people that, once you just meet, it feels like you have known them forever. I only met Jack and Judie a year and a half ago, but was so drawn to their warmth and friendliness that I knew they were special. I will miss you, Jack—I wish I could have gotten to know you sooner. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Judie.