Thursday, January 03, 2013

Hong Kong Disneyland Store at Hong Kong Airport

I had 2 brief stopovers (if you can call 4 and 5-hour stops as "brief") at the Hong Kong airport while on my trip this past December. Of course, I had to make a beeline to the Hong Kong Disneyland stores. The largest one is in Terminal 1 inside the restricted area (you need a ticket and go through immigration). The second one is accessible to everyone in Terminal 2, but it is also smaller.

Since I landed at Terminal 1 the first time around, I didn't have to go through anything to get to the larger HK Disneyland store.
Now, I would have shopped till I dropped, but unfortunately, I had to restrain myself because I will have to bring whatever I bought as a carry-on. My checked luggage is being sent through to my final destination in Singapore. So I couldn't buy everything I wanted, but it was enough that I ended up with a shopping bag. Luckily, since my other carry-on is a backpack, I did not exceed the airline's limit on the stuff I could bring on board.

In any case, I spent my money on pins (of course), t-shirts, and a few souvenir items. I also had, in the back of my mind, the idea that I will be passing through this place again on the way back, and will have a chance to shop some more. That turned out to be true and more. On the way back, I actually went through immigration, got out of Terminal 1, and went to Terminal 2 to look at the other Disney store. It was smaller, with less amount of merchandise. I did see a t-shirt that I didn't notice at the other store, but other than that, I didn't see that much of a difference.

After having dim sum for breakfast, I went through immigration again and got back into Terminal 1. I went back to the first HK Disneyland store and shopped some more before I had to make my way back to the gate to board the plane for home.

So here are some of the stuff I bought. As you can see, they are predominantly pins, since I was also buying for my Disney pin collector friends.

This is a nice pin with vibrant colors. The picture does not do it justice.
I originally intended to break up this pin set and keep only the Donald pin, but now I've changed my mind and will keep the set intact.
This is another neat pin set.
I bought this for someone who collects Nightmare's stuff. If he doesn't want it, I'll keep it.
The one non-pin merchandise that I bought was these "dolls". They are Mickey and Minnie in traditional Chinese outfits.
But they are not really dolls. If you turn them around, there's a zipper running along their backs.
If you open the zipper, you'll find a bag of candy stuffed inside the dolls.
What is even cuter is that each of the candy is shaped like a Mickey head.
I wish I could have bought a few more pairs of these. A lot of people here want them.

HK airport his HUGE. In fact, many of the new Asian airports such as HK, Singapore, Korea, etc. put most American airports to shame. I haven't seen the new Bradley international airport at LAX, but certainly O'Hare's international airport looks like a slum when compared to these slick, modern airports.

Zz.

No comments: