Monday, March 12, 2012

Review of "John Carter"

We went to see "John Carter" yesterday at MUVICO, with D-Box seating and in 3D. The seats moved and vibrate according to the various scenes in the movie, which added to the experience.

But anyway, back to the movie. It was a very entertaining pop-corn movie. But will it be a blockbuster franchise that Disney is hoping for? I would guess not. There isn't anything in here that would make it stand out above all the other similar movies in this genre.

The one thing that movies like this suffer from for those who have not read the corresponding books, is the confusing plot, locations, and casts of characters. I had that when I saw Dune, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Harry Potter, etc. This movie is not an exception. Halfway through, I lost track of who was the bad guy, what was that structure in the middle of the river was for, what the heck is the purpose of the "9 rays", etc.. etc. And why do these people still fight with swords when they have guns and aircrafts that can shoots stuff? However, if one just stop worrying about who is doing what to whom and why, one can still enjoy the movie as it progressed along.

I did enjoy the movie, in a "fluffy" kind of way. Certainly there's a certain amount of predictability in the plot. And those creatures in the desert looked too much like those in "Avatar" (which I enjoyed a lot more except for the silly ending). I certainly would recommend it if you don't have that high of an expectation.

Still, I don't think my recommendation will help Disney with what has been termed as a "disastrous" opening for "John Carter". While I think the movie might do well in other parts of the world (it had a record opening weekend in Russia), I don't think it will do well in the US, judging from the many empty seats I saw in the movie theater.

Zz.

No comments: