Monday, October 03, 2011

WDW Turned 40, Where Were You, Disney Executives?

Did the Walt Disney Company, as a whole, forgot about WDW's 40th Anniversary? It appeared so. The "celebration" as it were, were done as if it was an after thought. And get this. For some odd reason, many of the prominent Disney Executives somehow have scheduled a ceremony to welcome Rapunzel as the 10th Disney Princess at the same time, in London! So most of them were there on Oct. 1st, 2011!

Did they forget that WDW's Magic Kingdom is the most visited theme park in the world? And yet, they treat it like an ugly step sister!

I was very disappointed in the lack of more elaborate celebration to commemorate this event. The amount of merchandise that was available was so disappointing, that I simply refused to stand in line for hours just so I could get my hands on some pins, etc. It is unbelievable that here are so many people who would pay good money to purchase commemorative items to mark the occasion, and they made it excruciatingly difficult for people to do that.

As one of my friends told me while we were having lunch on that day at MK, they are able to make money in spite of themselves.

Zz.

1 comment:

Jeff C. said...

To be honest, I was really surprised that I did not hear more about all these Disney executives at an elaborate opening ceremony on Oct 1. I thought it just didn't get much press - I guess that's because it did not happen! I agree, that's really a bit lame. I would have expected more. I also heard the fireworks were not really all that much different or special. If Walt were still alive, I'd bet he'd be there front & center.

A similar point I noted was the talk about the special cupcakes at MSB - that "they’re only for sale on Saturday at the Main Street Bakery – and plans are to make just about 10 dozen, and when they’re gone, they’re gone, says Chef Eric Brennar.". Really? You can't make enough for at least a vast majority of the good people that have shown up for that day? Wow. C'mon....

It also saddened me to see the amount of stuff on eBay right away and the ridiculous prices.

On the positive side, we loved your pics and running commentary, so thanks Zz!!! At least WE'RE glad you went!