Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A New Fastpass System On the Way

Jim Hill discusses the implication of a new patent filed by The Walt Disney Company. In it, Disney plans to introduce a virtual, electronic fastpass system that caters to Disney resort guests. You get to make a reservation for your fastpasses, and have it displayed on your mobile phones.

I actually have no problem with most of what has been described, even the ability to track my movement at the parks (they can count how many times I go to the bathroom if they like). Still, although I have a Blackberry and do use it, I am not a rabid user of my cell phone and certainly am not tied to it. I sometime even left it in the room when we all go out to the parks. In other words, I don't like to carry it around, and certainly don't have it latched onto my belt or other parts of my clothings. So having to fish out my cell phone each time I have to use a fastpass is an annoyance. It certainly is an added annoyance to have to make MORE reservations to do stuff. It's bad enough that to ensure that we get to use our table service Dining Plans at the restaurants we want, we have to make advanced reservations. Now, this new fastpass system is another thing we have to make reservations for if we don't want to wait in line.

I think they might run the risk of making a visit to a Disney park too complicated and too "unspontaneous".

Zz.

No comments: