Friday, May 22, 2009

3D Coming To Blu-Ray?

Well, of course one can show 3D movies already on TV using those silly red-blue glasses. But we're talking about the latest advancement in 3D technology using those polarized glasses that many in the industry, including Disney Digital 3D and RealD, are using. Those are still not available on Blu-Ray, and consumers have to content to watch such movies in 2D.

So now there is an effort to bring that technology to Blu-Ray.

3D isn't completely new to Blu-ray, with recent titles like "My Bloody Valentine 3D" packing in the old-style red and blue glasses in the box. However, the 3D effects obtained with the older red/blue (anaglyph) glasses pale in comparison with the effects commonly seem in theaters today with polarized glasses. It's likely that the Blu-ray association will try to incorporate the newer 3D technology into the standard, but from the demos we've seen (like Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray demo at CES 2009), it will require new, 3D-capable HDTVs to work, which means it's a long shot to gain widespread adoption.


Oh dear! A 3D-capable HDTVs?? Honestly, I don't want to upgrade anymore, at least, not in the next 5 to 10 years or so. I waited until I can buy a good Profile 2 (or BDlive) Blu-Ray player, and was hoping that with my hi-def TV, I'm DONE with audio-video upgrade for a while.

So they better not pull this on me because there's a very good chance that I'm not going to be buying a "3D-capable" HDTV anytime soon.

Zz.

No comments: