Thursday, January 11, 2007

Walt Disney and Weed

No, not THAT kind of "weed", but made you look, didn't I?

:)

This is such a "legendary" tale that I just had to pass it along here. This came from this month's Vacation Magic newsletter for DVC members. While it is a "minor" incident, it truly reflects who Walt is, I believe.

Q: Did Walt really tell the gardeners during Disneyland construction to put Latin names on weeds?

Jim Korkis's answer: In the 1980s, I interviewed Bill Evans, who was in charge of Disneyland landscaping, and he told me the following: "I had to tell Walt by the time I got around to the back berm that we had run out of money for more plants and were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Walt said, "I notice you have some head-high weeds out there. Why don't you put some jaw-breaking Latin names on them?" So we did as he suggested. The weeds were growing almost as high as trees, so we put some fancy names on them. Walt got such a kick out of it that he recounted that story at the Cast celebration for the Park's 10th anniversary, and the story became legendary."


I love it! :)

Zz.

No comments: