Thursday, April 19, 2007

Don't Blame Fairy Tales For Your Emotional Issues

I got a good chuckle while reading this article. It came from the University of Rochester's campus newspaper.

So while I was searching Facebook groups (we reflect on the anti-feminist groups article), I came across several "Disney gave me unrealistic expectations about love," with member counts rising above 114,000. Disney also gave several Facebookers unrealistic expectations about men, body image and my own personal favorite: physics.

And it's not just Disney. "The Notebook" and "Grey's Anatomy" are also to be blamed for our unrealistic expectations. I see where everyone is coming from. I am also aware that people don't have waists like that, and I understand why so many feminists and just normal people have a problem with Disney's promotions of traditional gender roles and reliance on white heteronormativity. I am also aware that many of the princesses are white, and even some of the multicultural ones (Mulan and Esmeralda) are not princesses at all.

I get all that. But I have a few things to say. First, seriously, take some responsibility, people. I literally grew up with Disney, and I know all the words to songs and have sung along to even some of the most anti-feminist ones - even "Me" in "Beauty and the Beast" and this gem from "Cinderella," "Leave the sewing to the women, you go get some trimming."

Yet, I don't think young impressionable me came away thinking, "Well only girl mice sew dresses." I also don't think I believed that people in coffins can be kissed back to health. While not defending Disney Corporation, I've also wondered why people didn't come away with Ariel singing, "Bet they don't reprimand their daughters, bright young women, sick of swimming, ready to stand…" which I always read as female independence, and instead got caught up in, "Some day my prince will come."


I think the topic is correct in terms of how people tend to blame other things rather than looking at themselves for the cause of their difficulties. I find the whole thing rather amusing because of my own situation. While I didn't get into Disney as a kid, and only became "indoctrinated" into the Ways of the Mouse rather late in life, I am now fully immersed into the whole Disney atmosphere (others may call it being "brainwashed". Whatever!) :) Anyone who has been in my place can tell you that, although it isn't even a fraction as bad as some of the things other Disney fans have done.

What is actually rather amusing (and contradictory to some people), is that I'm a physicist. My normal, everyday work deals with figuring out the workings of Nature, and doing experiments to make sure something is real and reproducible. In this part of my life, I go after pseudosciences, supernatural phenomena, and other "magical" events that have no valid scientific basis or evidence. Yet, I fully accept the "magical" idea and stories of Disney, especially when I'm at the Disney theme parks. Aren't fairies, fairy godmothers, magic, and other magical happenings the absolute opposite of physics?

Sure they are! However, I do not accept them as being "real" as in physically verified, but rather real in the emotional impact. These things are accepted within the framework of entertainment and FUN, as well as providing emotional relaxation and pleasure. There is a difference. It is when one does not differentiate between those two is when what is real physically and what isn't get blurred, resulting in people believing quackery.

It really is a relief to be a child, to be irrational, and to throw out, for a brief moment, the need to be analytical. Disney and Disney theme parks do those for me. Just to be able to appreciate the joy of having fun doesn't come very often. If one looks at it that way, then I don't see how anything Disney or things in the media could possibly be blamed for such negative impact in one's life.

Zz.