Saturday, April 21, 2007

Going to WDW is a Religious Experience?

Oh, you have GOT to read this article. It is written by Rabbi Jonathan R. Katz of the congregation Achduth Vesholom. It started out rather ominously.


More than 25 years ago at Disney World, I had a friend snap a picture of me swearing on a pretend Bible that, if blessed with children, I would never take them to “The Mouse.”


I can understand that. Many male teenagers probably do that! :) But then, things changed!

Well, one wife and kid later, my pledge bit the dust when our family recently spent four days at the vast vacation mecca. Maybe it’s that I’m more world-wearied, that my 5-year-old daughter cannot get enough of Cinderella, that when it was 5 degrees here it was 65 there, that fast passes for rides are now available or that I’m more comfortable embracing high-tech, fun-filled, child-inspired enchantments. Whatever the reason, when I entered the Disney bubble this time, notwithstanding the large dent it put in my bank account, I thoroughly enjoyed it.


And yes, I've seen that too. I've read my trip reports of people who either hated, or didn't care about Disney theme parks, being forced to go. Then they realized that they were having a tremendous time!

But here's where this article deviate from most of our experience, I think.

Beyond all the cheerful personnel at the airport, hotel and parks, terrific in-house transportation system, stunning propertywide landscaping, cleanliness, security and abundance of bathrooms, what struck me most about the mega complex was its sense of spirituality.

That may sound odd considering Disney, by design, has no religious face per se. But while nowhere on explicit display, I still thought I found religion in Mickey Mouse’s backyard. In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus tells his disciples that to merit the kingdom of heaven they must “change and become like little children.” Isn’t this what Disney World encourages? That sensibility should also register with Jews because, after all, we refer to ourselves as the children of Israel. Remaining childlike even as we mature helps preserve a capacity for play that can prompt more authentic, dynamic and healthy human relations.

Entering the Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios or Animal Kingdom, one experiences a certain giddiness knowing that a kind of Promised Land of wonder and mirth has been reached. A warm sense of community is cultivated by the human scale buildings, consistently yet aesthetically engaging architecture, ambient music, ubiquitous Disney characters, elaborate stage shows and impromptu street skits.


Yowzah! Or maybe I should have said "Oy vey!"

:)

Still, I think for many of us who love the place, there is a sense of joy and happiness while we are there, even when faced with long lines, outrageous food costs (should have taken that Disney Dining Plan!), boiling summer heat, and sore feet.

So next time those Southern Baptists protest or boycott WDW, I'll show them this article! :)

Zz.

2 comments:

Klark Kent 007 said...

Excellent, I am not religious, but I make pilgrimages often (Annual Pass, & live in Orlando)

ZapperZ said...

I hate you! :)

Yes, I certainly would agree with you that it does feel like a pilgrimage. It certainly is true for us who do not live there. Each trip feels very special.

Zz.