Friday, August 22, 2008

Disney's Rights To Young Mickey Mouse

This is a very lengthy article that examines Disney's continuing copyright claim to the early incarnation of Mickey Mouse character that was in Steamboat Willie.

For the record, any knock-offs would have to make clear that they did not come from Disney, or else risk violating the separate laws that protect trademarks. And the potentially free Mickey is not the most current or familiar version of the famous mouse.

Copyright questions apply to an older incarnation, a rendition of Mickey still recognizable but slightly different. Original Mickey, the star of the first synchronized sound cartoon, "Steamboat Willie," and other early classics, had longer arms, smaller ears and a more pointy nose.


I'm sure Disney and its lawyers will continue to fight to keep their ownership of the Mickey likeness. As for me, I think I would not consider it genuine if a Mickey merchandise does not come from Disney or with Disney's blessings. So I probably would not buy any things simply because it had a Mickey Mouse picture on it. But I know many people who don't care about such thing.

Zz.

No comments: