Thursday, March 12, 2009

50 Disney Theme Parks Execs Take Buyouts

The Walt Disney Co. announced the buyout offer to its executives a while back. We already know that the top chef at WDW took that package. Now comes a report that 50 theme park executives took the buyout offer, but the company doesn't list who, and how many from WDW.

In the blog where I first mentioned the buyout, I mentioned that I hope Jim MacPhee doesn't take it and that he remains at Epcot. There have been rumors flying around that he has been reassigned away from his position as the Vice President for Epcot. I can't find any other reports to verify this. If this is true, it is highly disappointing. Having met him personally, and seen how he interacts with the guests, I can't think of anyone who would be capable of taking care of Epcot for the fans than he. I don't pretend to know how the Walt Disney Company works, and how things are in the backrooms of decision-making. But considering that he has worked his way from a parking-lot cast member to his way to the top, I'd say that he knows the theme parks very, very well. Many fans credited him for saving Epcot's 25th anniversary, and I know for certain that he made our celebration more magical simply by his presence with us. How can one not reward someone like that, even if he is nothing more than a PR guy?

Zz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are a ton of deserving folks there that we hope stay around. On the plus side, a lot of them may actually want a buyout, depending on where they are in their lives.