Tuesday, July 07, 2009

WDW Monorail Back Online

The WDW Monorail is back in operation.

After the dust has settled a few days after the tragic event at WDW, we are now getting a little bit clearer picture on the event itself.


The announcement came as other investigators looking into Sunday's crash appeared to zero in on what may have been a botched attempt to switch a train from one track to another.

The crash early Sunday occurred as one of Disney's trains was supposed to be using a spur to transfer from the resort's Epcot line to a Magic Kingdom line so it could return to the maintenance bay for the night.

But the switch was never completed. Instead, the train apparently moved in reverse back down the Epcot line -- with an onboard collision-avoidance system likely on override -- and slammed into a second train carrying a handful of passengers.


Someone at work asked me the other day if I would ride in the front cab again. I replied, without hesitation, that I would. When this all happened, and before I even heard of the circumstances, I had a very strong belief that what happened was a result of a "non-standard" or "non-operational" maneuver that they were trying to execute. In other words, this would not occur under normal, operating conditions. And after this tragedy, the monorail system will be even safer than before, which was already damn safe as it was.

So yes, if they let me, I would ride in the front cab this very second.

Zz.

No comments: