Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Control System for WDW Monorail

So I was told this in person by someone who should know, but I have no way of verifying if it is true. I probably should have googled it first, but I also don't quite know of the exact spelling since I was told of this verbally, so that won't help. Besides, this is more of a trivia information rather than anything important. But for us Disney freaks, we LOVE Disney trivia! :)

Supposedly, the money for the Epcot monorail line was built using the profits from Mary Poppins movie. So when they designed and built the control system for the monorail, they named it MayPos (or something that sounds like that - this is where I can only go by what was said rather than exactly how it was spelled), which is a short form for Mary Poppins.

I would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable who can confirm or refute this, or correct the details of this information.

Zz.

3 comments:

Greg said...

According to the Hidden Mickeys website (http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Secrets/Monorails.html) it is known as MAPO (short for Mary Poppins).

ZapperZ said...

Ah, thank you very much. So I was partially correct. I didn't know how how it was spelled. When it was verbally told to me, it sounded like "MayPos".

:)

Zz.

Unknown said...

Zapper--Doc is right...

But, it was created by Walt from the profits of Mary Poppins to create (re: fabricate) the ride systems and vehicles for Disneyland. Sorta like an advanced machine shop.

Has to do with the Disney Company not letting Walt use his own name since the Studio sorta owned it.