Monday, March 10, 2008

Disney Taking Heat Over China

This LA Times article deals with how Disney continues to have trouble in labor abuse of its merchandise being manufactured in China.

As a consumer of many Disney products, especially the pins, I am certainly a participants in this process. I am definitely conscious that many of the products that I buy from Disney are predominantly made in China, and one continues to wonder how and under what conditions they were made. Do I wish that there are many more Disney products made in the US? Definitely! In fact, on this last trip, the Mickey Mouse throws that they were offering for $10 for every $50 worth of purchase was made in the US, to my shock! And I remember a while back, the new year Mickey ears hat was made in the US.

But of course, these are very rare to find. I will honestly say that I probably would not mind paying a bit extra for the merchandise that I want if I am given the guarantee that they were made under a more supervised condition by Disney. Put a sticker on a product in which they guarantee that the product was made according to their guidelines.

I'm definitely not speaking on behalf of many other consumer of Disney products, I'm sure. After all, WalMart didn't become the largest retailer in the world because they care about how the products they sold were made. Most consumers probably only care about the bottom line - the price. But in my case, I would certainly be more inclined to consider buying a product if I am given the assurance of the conditions under which it was made.

Zz.

No comments: