Monday, March 17, 2008

Disney’s Pixar Play Parade is All Wet

Eeewwww... I don't like the sound of the description of the new Pixar Play Parade that opened at Disney's California Adventure at all!

The water theme of the new parade is immediately evident as “Cars” star Lightning McQueen leads the procession accompanied by a pair of women dressed as mops (no, sadly, I’m not kidding) who squirt the crowd with water bottles and sponge off the red roadster. The car wash gag is an apt metaphor because you are about to be put through a soaking fit for a Ford Mustang.

Before the first float had even passed, I’d been squirted in the eye twice and dried my face three times with my shirtsleeve. By the time the second float went by, I was suitably annoyed — as were others who were fleeing the parade route as if attacked by a swarm of bees. As the third float passed, I uttered words not appropriate for a family publication.


Er.. no. No, no, no, no. I don't mind getting wet on rides, but this squirting at people watching the parade is not something I would enjoy, thank you very much, especially when we are pretty regular with snapping pictures and videos. Did they even warn people with something like "Caution. You WILL get wet when viewing this parade!" the same way the caution people on wet rides? Did they?

Who thought of these things anyway?

Zz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew this was going to happen.

My wife and I have seen the parade 3 times already, and the main reason why is we know that somebody's going to complain and before you know it, it's going to be an all bubble & no water parade.

Yes, they DO warn you TWICE in a very nice announcement that water is a major part of the fun. And yes you do get wet, but this is not Splash Mountain. It's a play parade. The water is constant, but about as harmful as a shot from a cheap plastic squirt gun. By the end of the parade we were already dry. My wife had a Sully plush with her, and it was also dry by the end.

During the three viewings, the audience around us laughed at the squirters, and we didn't see anybody fleeing or even backing up out of range. (Note you will see no fleeing on the dozens of videos that are on YouTube.)

Disney has added a real fun element to their already impressive parade tradition, one that will be especially welcome during the upcoming Summer. And I hope they don't let a small, but (unfortunately) very loud minority take the Play out of the Parade.


I hope you don't leave this buried in the comments but actually post it right alongside the other opinion.