Sunday, June 10, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End

So we finally had some time to finally see Pirates. Recall that we couldn't go see it on its opening weekend because that was when we left for our most recent vacation to Virginia and then WDW. Since we missed the opening weekend already, we thought we might as well wait a couple more weekends so that we won't be running into any big crowds. The matinée show at 11:00 am today was prefect - the theater was not even 1/4 full.

First of all, having read all the reviews that really didn't have that many good things to say about it, I wasn't expecting much. I was thinking that it might be like the Star Wars movie Ep. I, or II, or III, where it was all special effects and stunts, but not enough story. All the reviews have indicated that the movie has a convoluted story, things going in all directions, and certain things that just didn't make any sense. It was with that in mind that I saw the movie.

I will right off say that I LOVE IT! It wasn't as good as the second, and it certainly wasn't as good as the first. But I was so glad that it wasn't a dog that many reviews made it to be. I especially like the opening. It was "quiet" and an air of despair hanging over everything. That and the effort to rescue Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones Locker was actually the best part of the whole movie for me. It was only after that that the story becomes a bit convoluted, and the story got rather weak. By the time the final confrontation was about the occur, I lost track on who's betraying who to get what. During this part, they certainly depend more on the special effect to carry the movie, while the story took a back seat.

It was still a lot of fun. As with the earlier Pirates, you HAVE to stay all the way till the end of the credits because in this one, there are tantalizing hints that left open the possibility of another Pirates movie. I hope there's another one, but they will need to wait a few years to recharge, and maybe get some new blood especially in the storytelling and directing.

Zz.

No comments: