Saturday, February 09, 2008

Restaurants at Walt Disney World

I don't mind admitting that I can be a food snob some time. But it's not what you think. By being a "snob", I don't mean I only care for high-class, expensive, foo-foo restaurants serving haute cuisine food. In fact, I would say I tend to go the opposite way, more ma-and-pa restaurants serving authentic, good food. And that's the problem. I want the food to be authentic, not "Americanized". While I do like what passes as "Chinese food" here in the US, I still think it would have been nice to have Chinese restaurants serving authentic Chinese food that what you would get in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan/etc. In fact, I tend to go for authentic, ethnic food more than anything else.

And that's the problem with dining at WDW. In my reading of the reviews of the new Yak and Yeti restaurant at Animal Kingdom, there seems to be an impression that it is nothing more than a typical "Chinese" restaurant. And that's disappointing to me, because I had such high hopes that it will be exotic. This reflects the dilemma that I have when dining at WDW. On one hand, I want something that I can't get anywhere, or certainly, not in Chicago. When I dine at a restaurant in a World Showcase pavilion, I want something authentic from that country, not something that has been toned down, or Americanized. I don't want to find only familiar things in the Japanese restaurant at the Japan Pavilion that I can find at my local Japanese restaurant around the corner. This is why I don't eat at the Rainforest Cafe. I mean, what's the point when I can get it almost anywhere?

But on the other hand, I can certainly put myself in Disney's shoes. If you get too authentic, it could limit the appeal of such offerings. Let's face it, the typical tourists are not going to go for the highly exotic food. Authenticity is not going to fill the tables. At some point, having authentic food to cater for a small group of people (like me) is not going to pay the bills.

Still, I can't imagine there's no way to cater to both types of crowds. Keep interesting menu items in these ethnic restaurants, while including other, more "safer" options to those who are less inclined to experiment. If not, those of us who want to be challenged by such food will go elsewhere. I'd rather just spend less money eating at Sunshine Season, or Flame Tree BBQ, rather than sit in a Chinese restaurant serving the same thing I can get elsewhere. They also better not tone down the menu items at Marrakesh, because I would not be happy. They've already compromised with their mint tea (which should be served sweet).

I guess that's why my most favorite place to eat in all of WDW is Boma. I like tasting unusual flavors, and this place continues to offer not just good food, but also exotic combinations and flavors. It gives one a reason to not go for pizza or hamburgers.

Disney should pay as meticulous attention to the food they serve as they do with theming the parks. I'm surprised why the Imagineers do not also consider this as part of the whole picture.

Zz.

No comments: