Monday, April 21, 2008

Disney World or Bust!

I typically love reading news article like this where people, especially kids, are given the opportunity to visit a Disney theme park, usually WDW. This one appears to start off in the same way, with 4 girls from Labrador, Canada being given the chance to to go WDW under the "Dreams Take Flight" program by Air Canada. That sounds like a wonderful opportunity, until I read towards the end:

The next morning, the entire Atlantic Canada group will leave Halifax on a Boeing 767 at 5:30 am. Once they arrive in Orlando three hours later, they will be bussed directly to Disney World, where they will spend about eight hours taking in the sights, sounds and rides of the Magic Kingdom.

At the end of the day, the Atlantic Canadian children and their volunteer chaperones will fly back to Halifax and arrive shortly after midnight. Our Happy Valley-Goose Bay jetsetters will fly home the next morning.

"It's a fairly grueling schedule for the children, but as you can imagine, they're going to Disney World, I'm sure they won't mind!" laughed Ms. Pomeroy, who said she also can't wait to go.


Yowzah! They are going to be zonked by the end of the day!

Maybe they're trying to save added expenses by not staying at least a night there, but really, how much more can that be? Going non-stop for 8 straight hours at the Magic Kingdom, trying to see and do as much as one can, does not sound like fun to me. But then again, I'm old! :)

Still, I guess this is better than not being able to go at all. It also makes those of us who can afford to go there many times count our blessings.

Zz.

2 comments:

disneynorth said...

The Dreams Take Flight program is actually a really big deal. My Cousin's wife used to run the program here in Toronto, and they would take all year to fundraise for it. You have to remember that they are taking a full plane of kids and chaperones down, which is pretty costly, considering the costs today to run an airline. It is a really special program. The kids absolutely love their day.

ZapperZ said...

Oh, I'm sure it's a wonderful program. I hope my comment didn't come across as if I'm belittling it. Like I said, even if the kids only had 8 hours there, it certainly is better than not going at all. I just wondered if they get to do much, especially if Magic Kingdom is busy with long lines. I was just thinking that if that was me and I only have 8 hours there, I would be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, because I want to do as much as I can. And knowing what I know, that's not the way I want to do the MK.

Zz.