Friday, January 04, 2008

Which One Is "Downtown Disney Resort Area"?

Did you read my blog post a while back on what I claim to be the missing road sign at WDW? This created a bit of a confusing to us when we first started driving around WDW ourselves. Of course, we are now 'experts' at getting around the area so this is no longer an issue. But we still wonder how many people get confused by this.

Now, when I first posted this, I got a few responses on it. One of the main issue was a possible ambiguity in the first picture. If you recall, this was where the confusion started because it seems to indicate that if one wants to go to Downtown Disney, one should make a left.



A few people mentioned that that sign actually indicates not Downtown Disney, but rather "Downtown Disney Resort Area". So I then asked "Which implies where?" The responses I got was that this could mean the Saratoga Springs and Old Key West resorts. I thought this was rather strange because I don't recall ever hearing those two DVC resorts being referred to as "Downtown Disney Resort Area". What I do recall was the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd. being called the Downtown Disney Resort Area. If I'm right, then one still only wants to go in the direction of Downtown Disney to get to that resort area, so the sign is still misleading and it also lacks the follow up after people make that left turn.

Still, I continue to keep an eye out whenever there's any reference to the so-called "Downtown Disney Resort Area". Well now, there is one. This news article specifically talks about the Downtown Disney Resort Area, and it matches what I thought was the Downtown Disney Resort Area, which is the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd. So now we have another separate confirmation that this is what people would refer to when they use that phrase.

So then I stand by my original claim that the sign is missing at the intersection of Overpass Road and Bonnet Creek Parkway to direct drivers to Downtown Disney, resort area or not.

Zz.

No comments: